7 Steps to Making the Perfect Super Shake
If you are like many of my clients you don’t have time to sit down and eat a healthy breakfast and/or lunch. Better than going through the drive through at the nearest Taqueria or Starbucks I recommend my clients make themselves a Super Shake.
Making a Super Shake can take less than 5-minutes and may be the most nutritious meal of the day. Super Shakes can be used as a meal replacement and/or a post workout drinks.
Don’t confuse a homemade Super Shake with a smoothie from a smoothie bar. Many drinks from smoothie bars will contain large amounts of sugar, use low quality protein to keep their costs down, rely on heavily processed ingredients and use artificial flavors.
Below are the 7 steps to making a healthy delicious Super Shakes.
- Get a Good Blender – You will want a blender as you will be using whole food and sometimes frozen food. The Magic Bullet is a good inexpensive choice. For those with a bigger budget and want more horsepower the Vitamix is the top of line blender.
- Pick a Liquid. – Add about 4-8oz of liquid per serving. Several options are milk, iced green tea, hemp milk, and coconut water.
- Choose a Protein Powder – One or two scoops should be enough per serving. Add between 20-50 grams of protein to your super shake. A few protein powder options are whey, casein, rice, pea, and hemp. Find a protein powder that digests easily and tastes good.
- Pick a Veggie or Two – Add 1-2 handfuls of raw veggies. A few ideas might be Spinach, kale, Swiss Chard, Pumpkin, Sweet potato, beets, cucumbers or powdered greens. Spinach works with almost all Super Shakes since you can barely taste it.
- Pick a Fruit – Add 1 handful of fresh fruit or frozen fruit. A few suggestion might be apples, avocado, bananas, berries, cherries, pineapple or powdered fruit supplement. Avocados and bananas give the shake a smooth texture.
- Choose a Healthy Fat – Add 1-2 thumb size portions per serving. Some good fats might be walnuts, flax, hemp, chia seeds, cashews, almonds and nut butters.
- Pick a Topper – If you need to add a little more flavor, fiber or protein you may want to consider one of these toppings. Coconut, dark chocolate, yogurt for more protein and a smoother texture, oats for more fiber, cinnamon, and ice if using fresh fruit.
My Super Shake recipe includes 16oz of water, 2-4 scoops of chocolate whey protein powder, two handfuls of spinach, 1 handful of frozen cherries, 1 handful of blueberries, and 2 thumb sized portions of natural peanut butter.
Not all the steps are necessary to make a Super Shake. If you don’t want a topper, skip it. Want more veggies, add them. If you want less calories decrease the portion sizes. Change it up to make the perfect Super Shake for you.
Committed to Your Success,
Adam Farrell MS CSCS