Here in the Bend we have a lot to be thankful for: world class views, great people, and arguably some of the best seafood in Texas. But like all good things, it comes at a price. For us, that means achingly hot summers. And for coffee lovers in the Coastal Bend heat, a smoldering cup just won’t do. So mix it up this summer and trade in that heat for a nice refreshing iced coffee. Here’s a list of some of the best cold brews in town. They’ll be sure to put a pep in your step and get you going in no time.
- Cold Brew - Dark, strong, and packing a punch. Greenlight’s cold brew is like the Stalone of coffee. It maintains its bold flavor till the last drop whilst balancing out with sweet overtones. This is a must have for anybody looking for a strong cup of joe. 600 Leopard St #100, Corpus Christi, TX 78401, (361)-434-0846, www.facebook.com/greenlightcoffeeshop
- Iced Honey Badger - Honey Badgers are natural leaders, strategic, and are said to be some of the most fearless creatures in existence. Naturally, it makes sense to have a drink named after them. Sweetened with honey and made bold by espresso, these flavors play nicely enough to keep you wishing you had more.
- Toddy - When we think coffee, we think bold, sweet, creamy, and oh my God I've got to get to work, but don’t let running late stop you from indulging in a Toddy from Coffee Waves. Sweet to the touch, the Toddy is a soft yet bold coffee that pushes the boundaries of what we call conventional cold brews. You’ll just have to try it for yourself! This sweet little baby will make you wish you had done so sooner. 5738 S Alameda St, Corpus Christi, TX 78412, (361)-986-0481, www.coffeewaves.com
Hester’s Cafe & Coffee
- Iced Black Coffee - A true test of a coffee’s worth is how it stands alone, without the help of added creamers. Hester's iced black is certainly throwing punches with the best of them. With smooth, cold hints of dark chocolate and free refills, Hester’s iced black is a sure winner.
- Iced Caramel Macchiato - The Caramel Macchiato is increasingly becoming a staple for every modern coffee shop, and Hester’s is doing it right with theirs. To find a perfect balance between espresso, cream, caramel, and ice is a daunting task, but somehow they do it with charm. 3 locations: 1714 S Alameda St (361)-885-0558, (2) 1902 N Shoreline Blvd (361)-885-0151, (3) 3812 S Alameda St (361)-885-1892, www.hesterscafe.com
- Cold Brew - Island Joe’s is a true coffee lovers haven, and their cold brew is a perfect example. Dark and rich with a smooth, bold finish, you get no fluff when it comes to this cold brew. They make real coffee that cuts straight to the heart. John F Kennedy Memorial Causway, Corpus Christi, TX 78418, (361)-867-1276, www.facebook.com/islandjoescc
- Iced Black Coffee - Having had the privilege of strolling through this shop on some of the hottest days of summer, I can personally say from experience that the Daily Grind’s iced black coffees are some of this summer’s perfect chillers. With a bold brew that sweetens on the edges, it makes for a great morning or mid-day pick me up. 302 S Austin St, Rockport, TX 78382, (361)-790-8745, www.rockportdailygrind.com
The Bloom CoffeeWorks
- Iced Caramel Macchiato - Perhaps the heaviest hitter in shop, the iced caramel macch at the Bloom CoffeeWorks is a must have. Doused with caramel drizzle, chilled on ice, and with just the right ratio of espresso to cream, this is one drink you’ll be thinking about long after it’s gone.1600 Wildcat Dr, Portland, TX, , www.facebook.com/BloomCoffeeWorks
- Iced Americano with peanut butter syrup - Okay, so this is a bit of a weird mix, but not all seemingly weird pairs are Rachel and Joey bad. While not on the menu per se, this unique find is sure to keep you coming back for more. With just enough of the peanutty goodness to balance the coffee's boldness, these mingling flavors make for a refreshing new taste.
- Iced Cafe Mocha - If you’ve got a sweet tooth then Stingers’ Cafe Mocha is your drink of choice. Chocolaty and strong, this drink mixes business with pleasure, but don’t be fooled by it’s sweet flavor, there’s enough espresso in it to keep you going from sun up till sundown. Who said dessert cant come first? 1304 Airline Rd, Corpus Christi, TX 78412, (361)-986-1133, www.stingerscc.com